Mount Jerome photo

Royal Irish Constabulary (1884-1960)

Grave No: Ac 93 /94 - 6196

Brief History:

The Irish Constabulary was renamed the Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC) in 1867. The RIC was the provincial police force for Ireland up until it was disbanded in 1922, following the establishment of the Irish Free State.

Even though in 1913 86% of the force was catholic, sectarianism was rife within the force, especially when it came to promotion.  As a result the RIC was not a well trusted police force.

There are 40 members of the RIC interred in this large plot. The first burial took place in 1884 and the last in 1960.

Description of Monument:

Large 25 x 21 foot grave, enclosed with granite kerbing with a distinctive 4 metre tall red granite obelisk.

Directions to Grave:

Turn right onto the Long Walk via the Hawthorn Walk. Walk 40 metres and turn left onto a narrow pathway. You will see the distinctive 4 metre high red granite obelisk marking the plot.

Royal Irish Constabulary (1884-1960) +

website by OGX

xhtml | css | wai-a